Carbonora (for 4)
- 1lb dried pasta or double batch of pasta fresh from Phillips pasta maker (I prefer linguini)
- 1/4 Lb Guanciale (1/4" cubes) - can use pancetta if can't find guanciale
- 3 egg yolks + 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated parmigano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup grated Recorino Romano
- lots of fresh ground black pepper
- Cold 12" skillet or 8" saucier render pork
- Boil & salt pasta water
- Heat serving bowls/plates
- In Bowl combine egg yolks, egg, cheese, and pepper - whisk to combine.
- When pork is cooked remove from heat, let cool slightly
- cook pasta
- Mix pork & pork fat into egg & Cheese mixture (in the bowl)
- Drain pasta and retain 1/2 cup of pasta water
- Add sauce to saucier/skillet - Add pasta, slowly add couple Tablespoons pasta water a bit at a time and mix, cheese mixture, pasta, and water vigorously until emulsified- add add pasta water as needed - sauce will thicken as cools, so should appear a bit thin in the pan
- Serve on warm plates/bowls immediately!
I may receive a commission from affiliate links.
You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.